Friday 17 June 2016

Day 4. Date 17:06:16 Time: 8:20. Well I did it – the first time I managed to complete over 100 miles and it hurt. It really hurt. I though it was meant to be flat but the climbs were dreadful for such a long overall distance. Scheduled to do 102 but I ended up doing 106  as kept circling back to  ensure my riders I had grouped with for the day were OK. We ate now in Shrewsbury. Had such an eventful day. Started quite demoralisingly as it was raining at the start and I knew we had a very long way to go. For those who play golf you would know exactly what I mean – nothing worse than turning up to the first tee and it is raining. Anyway it cleared up after about 20 miles. Today we went over the Severn bridge to cross into Wales, which is  such a fantastic marker for this journey and we got some pics.  However, just after crossing it one of my group got a puncture, he fixed it whilst we waited for him, then the new tube got punctured as there was still a sharp bit in the tyre, then the next tube exploded when it got pumped up. Finally 4 inner tubes later he got if fixed – but it put us 45 minutes behind. The same chap then crashed later when he got another puncture – he also had crashed the day before. Let's hope that is the end of his bad luck. To catch up the time I caught the back end of a fast threesome and went like a train – just like on the TV. This was a real experience for me as I am learning all the time  and it just shows how powerful group riding can be due to Aerodynamics.  Later I had a silly accident, as I didn't step out of my cleats quick enough and ended up rolling over on my back with the bike still stuck to me pointing up in the air. I was ok and it was pretty funny really. Anyway, tomorrow is a bit shorter at 86 miles on our way to Preston but I have learned it doesn't mean it will be any  easier. Nothing is easy about this – nothing. I’m tired, I ache, I’m emotional, but I am determined to keep going. Paul