Saturday 25 June 2016

Day 12. Date: 25-06-16. Time: 13:40. Woke this morning to an overcast cold day – but that doesn't matter as the only thing that does is that it does not rain - and it didn't.

Well I did it. I arrived at Dunnet Head (most northern point) at 9:30 am, but it was fogged out so not great photos…. and then arrived at John O’Groats at 11:06, where the fog had cleared and we got fantastically great photos.

The scenery on the run into John O'Groats was weird, strange and bleak yet stunning - an extrodinary feeling and a privledge to experience. I rode in with two fantastic guys Neil and Richard and I must say it was a pleasure to experience such a wonderful and significant moment in my life with them - they are true gentlemen and hopefully our paths may cross in the future, as they live relatively close in Guilford. One of the guys has taken on 9 significant adventure orientated challenges and this was challenge number 5 - a truely inspirational guy whom I hope to keep in contact with to see how the others go. The other chap was such a strong and capable cyclist and totally and utterly considerate. I really hope to catch up and have a few beers with both of them in the near future.

This has been one heck of an emotional, pleasurable, exhilarating yet painful journey. One that has brought real tears of joy along with real tears of desperation – it is amazing just how much energy you can draw from those feelings when channeled positively and that was probably what got me through this challenge.

I look around and see cyclists on this trip with all sorts of abilities and you can virtually ‘smell‘ the feeling of satisfaction, as well as relief it is all over. All of them have a different story to tell and their reasons for pursuing this challenge.

I have to thank every single one who has supported me through kind words, gestures of support and of course generous donations towards my elected charity – Flying Start (Comic Relief).

A big massive thank you to the British Airways Community Investment team, that have really helped make this challenge materialise – it has been such a pleasure working with Mary and the team.

Another big thank you to the Discover Adventure team who organised and supported the trip and made it so much fun and run so smoothly.

We are now making our way by coach to Inverness for a celebration meal tonight before making our way home tomorrow. I’m going by train and hope not to have the same shenanigans, as the way down to Lands End (see my first posts).

Anyway, that is enough for now. I am going to sleep on the coach for a while. I am very tired and happy and relieved. Next post will probably involve me nursing a hangover. Paul