Friday 24 June 2016

Day 11. Date: 24-06-16. Time: 18:21. So today we made headway for Thurso leaving behind Brora – a distance of 65miles. It was interesting hearing the cycling group talking yesterday as if 65 miles was going to be a breeze – I wasn't so sure,  as we were all very tired and even most of  the very experienced cyclists had never amassed this kind of mileage over such a short time frame – you never really know what is lurking around the corner. Anyway, this segment did come with a sting in the tail, as as soon as we turned out of the hotel to head North we were hit with a fierce headwind. In a matter of moments the 65 mile ‘jolly’ now effectively became the equivalent of an 85 mile battle. I again was separated from my group early on and tackled it alone, but fortunately my knee was stronger and I could put virtually my full power through the knee – which was almost essential to tackle the headwind and gradients. We cycled through some beautiful but desolate countryside today and it felt very  lonely at times and felt quite surreal.

My bicycle has been brilliant and reliable and I really hope that tomorrow it will see me all the way to John O’Groats without any problems – touch wood. Tomorrow we travel approx 29  miles and go to the most Northern Point at Dunnet Head before going onto John O’Groats. As I  had a good sector today and managed to put some force though the knee, I am so hoping that will not bite me tomorrow and I can enjoy the final stint.

We are setting off tomorrow at 8:30 and we will be closing in on the finish line at approximately 11am, so if anyone is tracking me that will be a good time to watch. Now time to sleep one last time. Paul