Thursday 23 June 2016

Day 9. Date: 22-06-16. Time: 19:30. My oh my oh my. That was a tough tough day. The day started dry until we turned pretty much the first pedal. Then we had our first long climb start just after only completing one mile and went on for what was a few miles during which it started to pour. And it poured and it poured all the way up to the lunch stop. I got separated from my group very early on, as I stopped to put on my overshoes, which were meant to keep water out of my cycling shoes. As it  rained all the way up till the lunch stop at 65 miles, my feet still got soaked. With my socks and shoes wet through I sacrificed some of my lunch break to pedal back 1 mile to the garage we had just passed to try and dry them with the hand dryer. The socks were never going to dry, but I managed to get the inside of the shoes fairly dry and then cycled on for the next 30 miles after lunch without socks on. My knee again dogged me up till lunch time and made things tough and I had to dig really deep for motivation, but after lunch it felt better and I had a fairly good run in to Loch Lochy to complete the 96 miles (plus the 2 extra). Today I cycled on my own for all but 1 mile of the distance, which is challenging but never-the-less very enjoyable, as it allows you more time to take in the breathtaking views, as you don't have to worry what the person immediately in front of you may do.

Tomorrow we go to Brora and it is again another 97 miles, but we also take on the toughest climb of the trip – Heartbreak Hill, which I am told is 20 percent gradient for 1.5 miles and comes with some health warnings. So I really hope my knee is again a bit better and will hold up ok for our friendly hill!!. Time to sleep. Only approx a 97 miler, a 60 miler and a 30 miler to go. Here's hoping I can complete them. Paul.