Sunday 19 June 2016

Day 6. Date: 19-06-16. Time: 23:32. Hooray no rain this morning – that really brings a smile to my face. And do you know another thing that brings a smile to my face – my wonderful sister-in-laws, of which one, who is an Osteopath, has salvaged this cycling challenge from the brink of disaster. I called her desperately needing advice on
how to manage the problems with my right knee and the advice she gave absolutely enabled me to complete todays stage even though I still woke with a very stiff right knee and it panged every revolution of the first 8 miles of this mornings ride. So a massive big thank you to her and can’t wait to see you after this ride.
Today we cycled through the Lake District through Kendall and onto Carlisle, with Shap Fell kindly putting in a appearance along the way. The organisers advised us to get a good night sleep as we will need it get through the morning and make it over the Fell to Shap for lunch. The views were fantastic and the descents were exhilarating. We had a dry ride for 80 miles and got soaked for the last 12 miles on the run down to Carlise, which is frustrating, as again another set of wet kit.
So tomorrow is Kilmarnock at 96 miles. I really hope the knee is a bit better in the morning. I have changed my perspective from yesterday – I think I now prefer it to rain rather than have knee pain – it is always easier to be wise after the event. Paul.