Thursday 23 June 2016

Day 10. Date: 23-06-16. Time: 10:45. A dry day - hooray - for the entire ride and we also experienced sun. That feels just so good. So today I managed to do my 2nd only century as cycled 102 miles (meant to be 97 miles) as I took a wrong turn and climbed a hill for two miles before I had an eerie feeling I had nobody behind me. Early on in the ride we cycled past Loch Ness which was just majestic. No monsters spotted but what a magnificent sight - it is one sure way to forget about a grumbling knee that today felt as good as it had for a long time. It managed to hold up on Heratbreak Hill, which I was really worried about and so relived to get past. I managed to get up without stopping and that is always a personal goal for me - never to stop for reasons of needling a rest - I just don't do it and hopefully that will be the case all the way till the very end. So tomorrow we cycle for 65 miles to Thuro, which is our shortest ride so far as we are closing in on John O 'Groats. Had a silly fall today about 10 meters from the hotel door, as I couldn't get out of my cleats fast enough, but I am ok.

Although my right knee was sore for the first few miles it petered away relatively early on and allowed me to enjoy the ride and deal with the hill and finish strong. So hoping that doesn't bite me tomorrow morning, but we will see.

Weather expected to be wet and poor tomorrow, but I am used to that now. We could not possibly have two days of dry weather could we. Time to sleep now. Paul