Sunday 26 June 2016

Day 12+1 (the day after). Date: 26:06:16. Time: 13:45. So the day after the evening celebrations brings a mix of feelings along with the realisation of going back to normal civilian life. I hope the re-integration goes well and I don't go into shock :)

The whole experience has been wonderful even though we have experienced some horrendous weather. Ironically I am now sitting on the train from Inverness to Kings Cross (we have just passed through Edinburgh) and watching our truly beautiful countryside - that is basking in glorious sunshine - roll by. I planned to travel by train, as I wanted to get a sense of feeling of the distance we have we have all cycled and felt it a great way to unwind and relax. As the train is not packed out, this plan is working out beautifully.

The rain was a pain, but it was also a saving grace, as it kept you alert, refreshed and potentially if it was hot all the way, there may have been some  more of us that may have succumbed and not made it – I guess dehydration could have been a gremlin waiting to pounce.

Life changing – yes definitely. Would I recommend doing this -  absolutely. It is amazing what our body's and minds are capable of doing when focused - if the aspiration is there it really is just about getting out there and doing it and making the time to do it. Time management is key and cycling -  in my opinion - really unlocks the doors to fitness, confidence and just opens up the beautiful and varied countryside of this wonderful country I live in - the United Kingdom. In fact, for me I feel it unites one with the U.K.

So what next – I now have an open mind together with some thoughts, but for now a moment to reflect and spend time with my wonderful family and true friends and colleagues.

I suspect this may be the last diary oriented blog post – but I will probably post more pictures and some factual updates over the coming days.

I really hope you have all enjoyed this blog and following this journey. If it has helped in anyway encourage others to take on some future challenges and go out and grab life - that will bring a smile to my face – just like when it is not raining, and boy can it rain in the UK when it wants to.

So, the journey from Land’s End to John O’Groats took me a distance of 994miles (I went back for fellow cyclists a few times and also took a few wrong turns). As I was so close to 1000miles, when the bikes were coached back to our hotel at Inverness at the end of our challenge, I could not resist going out on the bike and knocking up the extra 6 miles to reach the 1000mile marker – just a silly personal thing, but I would have regretted it if I hadn’t, as I suspect I will never be in that position again.

For me now, time to rest and try and get my leg / knee checked out. I’m sure it will be back to full working order in a week or so, but best to play it safe.

I intend not to ride for a week, but I have been bitten by the bug and may well go for a light spin over the coming days. Let's see.

Just passing through Newcastle Railway Station now.

All the best for the future. Make it happen. Paul.